1. This looks hard - Is CrossFit for me?
Yes, it is hard, but nothing comes easy and the fun and increased fitness, health and confidence you will gain, make it well worth it. CrossFit is for everyone - kids, seniors, moms, professionals - you name it. We scale it back and progress as your fitness grows.
2. I don’t want to bulk up - will I add tons of muscle?
No. CrossFit will increase lean body mass, but not to the degree most people think of like body building. Women do not have to worry about getting bulky since it is not hormonally possible-at least not without a syringe!
You will work on strength movements to increase your all around capabilities, however, this is not a bodybuilding program, it is a core strength and conditioning program using functional movements, excuted at high intensity to achieve elite fitness across broad time and modal domains. In other words, using multi-joint compound movements, done quickly, with good form to prepare you for whatever life throws at you no matter what, when or where.
3. Why is it so expensive?
CrossFit is designed to produce results. The hard work your trainer and you put in, will give back ten fold. Most people balk at the prices initially, but the results speak for themselves and the fun and challenge of CrossFit make people glad they paid for, and got, a quality product. In the end, the daily breakdown of the monthly rate equates to less than what it costs to buy a couple energy drinks or sandwiches, neither of which will improve you health, fitness and well-being!
4. Do I need any special equipment?
No. A good attitude, the desire to sweat and work hard are all you need. CrossFit achieves it’s results with minimal equipment and no gimmicks. You come prepared to suffer a bit, and we do the rest!
If you lack the ability to commit to a program and would rather make excuses than work hard, then we are not the place for you. If you cannot leave your ego at the door, be consistent in your visits, or fail to take our advice, then your progress will be blunted and you will have no one to blame but yourself for a lack of results. We aren't interested in catering to people who can't meet the above personal requirements to achieve success. We will play "favorites" with any and all clients who commit, listen and learn when they walk in our gym. If they don't choose to do that, then we will just work around them. If you bring the right attitude and willingness to work hard, learn and enjoy a new sport, then we can get you to your goals.
5. Where can I get more info on CrossFit and/or CrossFit Centurion?
Go to www.crossfit.com and Read the “FAQ’s” section in it’s entirety, as well as the “Start Here” link.
Please download and read Coach Glassman's groundbreaking article, "What is Fitness" from the CrossFit Journal. The link for the free article is located on our sidebar!
If you wish to know about our facility, pricing or upcoming classes, please contact Ian and Allison at (916) 207-7500 , or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org .
6. Okay, so how do I get started at CFC?
All new clients should contact us to discuss their needs, goals and any other considerations they may have. We will also be able to ascertain a persons initial fitness levels and experience with CrossFit and determine whether this program is for you or not. If a client wishes to continue, they will have to take part in our Fundamentals Class. Once that class is complete, clients are welcome to join regular training groups and we can work on customized strength and conditioning programs and other skills that are of interest to you.
We offer a membership package in the form of "Unlimited" visits. We do not make you sign contracts or pay initiation fees. You may pay on a month to month basis, or buy bulk packages of Unlimited Classes in 3,6, or 12 Month chunks. You may pay by cash, check, credit or debit card. Monthly fees can be set up to automatically be paid via credit or debit card.
We require a written notification of membership cancellation at least 30 days in advance. Full refunds will not be given for memberships terminated without proper notice or after a billing cycle has been entered. In this instance, you will be charged a $30 administrative fee for failing to properly notify CFC of your desire to cancel.
As of January 2012, Memberships will no longer be allowed to be "frozen". You are either in or out. We have found the mass majority of "freezes" turn into cancellations and this creates a billing/refund headache for us we'd rather not deal with. People just delay the fact they don't want to tell us they can't come anymore and it's become a problem. You may "roll over" unused visits from week to week within a monthly period, however, you may not roll over those unused visits into the next month.
You are more than welcome to stop by our facility to look around and ask questions. Please note that if you come in during an active class time to ask questions, you will have to wait until the session is over for a coach to speak with you in depth about the gym and CrossFit program. We focus on our clients only during class sessions and we want them to get what they are paying for with no distractions.
We also offer a free class, usually on Saturday mornings at 9 AM, but we can accommodate other days if need be so you can get a taste of our training and programming. Please call ahead and let us know you'll be coming by ahead of time so we can be prepared to work with you. You must arrive 30 Minutes prior to the your free session to fill out proper paperwork, discuss any issues that may arise, and go over proper form and technique of movements involved in the day's workout. If you are not there 30 Min. prior to class, you will not work out.
7. What is the "Fundamentals Class"?
Prior to starting at CFC, a client must participate in at least one free class and then take our entry class. The only exceptions to this would be new clients with a previous CrossFit background. If you feel you have the skills necessary to bypass the entry class and join regular training sessions, please contact CFC staff to arrange a session in which we can assess movements and skills. Athletes with prior CrossFit background or those having trained at another CrossFit Affiliate Gym may be able to waive this requirement. We will verify previous membership at other CF gyms.
The Fundamentals Class is a three day course that covers the foundational movements of squatting, pressing and deadlifting, as well as some other movements commonly seen in CrossFit classes. This course provides basic instruction on the movements and their variations, coaching cues, recovery techniques and dietary considerations. The class is held the first week of every month on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings from 715 Pm to 830 PM and costs $125. The cost of the class also included a "3x/week" membership for the new client. This Fundamentals Class is also open to existing CFC members at no charge if they wish to learn more and/or brush up on their movements and skills. The cost of this course & first month's membership is NON-REFUDNABLE. The class is limited to 10 new clients at a time, so please register early!
If you are interested in this class, please contact Ian/Allison at Staff@crossfitcenturion.com to reserve a spot.
8. Who programs the workouts at CFC?
The workouts at CFC, including individualized strength training programs, are programmed by Ian, Andy, Trent and Rob. Aspects of recovery, real world functionality of movements, power output and progressions in GPP (general physical preparedness) and strength are taken into consideration for each workout. We don't prescribe random, endless and mindless long-term training circuits with no end goal in mind. Our programs as varied in time, intensity, equipment and routine to create a well-rounded, fully capable person with great strength, power and endurance. Individualized programs can be tailored to specific needs, so just ask and we will do our best to accomodate you!
CFC is a strong proponent of lifting, pressing, and/or squatting something heavy each week in a thought out and progressive training template. Nothing could be more functional or beneficial to health and physical fitness than lifting, pressing and squatting. We believe a strong athlete is a better athlete and this applies to all levels of fitness and experience. We also introduce our athletes to basic Olympic Weightliftng movements to improve strength, power, and athleticism.
We utilize various movements and items of training equipment to achieve your fitness goals. Our gym has only equipment that is truly needed and routinely used to create elite fitness.
9. What do these acronyms and numbers all mean?
You will see several abbreviations and acronyms at CFC and in CrossFit in general. The "WOD" is the "Workout Of the Day". There are various types of WOD's that will come up. They will combine elements of monostructural cardio, weightlifting, and gymnastics or they will be one of the aforementioned exercise domains on it's own. "Monostructural Cardio" is running, jump rope, rowing, cycling, etc. "Weightlifting" refers to elements of barbell work or Olympic Weightlifting. "Gymnastics" refer to bodyweight and body control movements such as pull ups, handstands, ring dips, push ups, etc.
ME stands for Max Effort. This is usually in the case of barbell work were we are working at a prescribed percentage of weight for prescribed sets. These are short efforts designed at increasing absolute strength. They are done for "RM", meaning "Repetition Max". In other words, a 5 RM would mean you could move a certain weight only 5 times. 1RM is obviously your max weight in a given movement. It is this 1RM that CFC will program ME and MetCon workouts off of involving a barbell movement based on established percentages.
"Barbell work" involves squatting, pressing, & deadlifting weight via a barbell. There are variations of each of these movements that are regularly covered at CFC to improve upon fitness and strength.
In the case of weighted movements during ME workouts, they will be written out as "Sets x Reps" or "Sets x Reps x Percentage/Weight" . The way CFC writes this info is at odds with many other S&C coaches, however, we have found most folks will automatically look at a prescribed loading format in "sets" first and then "reps". Although CFC writes it backwards, it is easier to comprehend. If you are at another affiliate or following another S&C workout format, please check to see how they format their loading prescription. So, "7x3" would mean "7 Sets of 3 Reps" and 5x3x85% would mean "5 sets of 3 reps at 85% of 1RM". It may also be written out as "3x5x225", meaning "3 sets of 5 reps at 225 Lbs".
"Olympic Lifting", "Oly Lifts" or similar terms refer to the two types of Olympic Weightlifting movements, the Snatch and the Clean & Jerk. The Snatch is a movement in which the barbell is taken from the floor to overhead in one complete motion, caught in an overhead squat at the bottom position and then stood up with the barbell overhead. The Clean & Jerk is a movement in which the barbell is taken from the floor, caught on the shoulders in the bottom of a front squat position, stood up in this position, and then it is "jerked" overhead to full lockout via a "push jerk" or a "Split Jerk". Both these movements are very complex and require great time and patience in learning to do them correctly. However, once learned they are incredible for athletic development and building confidence. Talk to CFC training staff for proper instruction prior to execution of these lifts.
"MetCon" is short for Metabolic Conditioning. These are your conditioning workouts done at high intensity in either an interval based format or a sequence of movements executed for "rounds". You may be asked to do a workout "For Time". Thie means you would do a sequence of movements as fast as possible once through or over several rounds. You score is the final time to completion.
The other variation is an "AMRAP" (As Many Rounds As Possible) workout in a pre-set time frame. An AMRAP workout is doing a sequence of movements over and over in a particular time domain. Your total score in this case is how many rounds you completed of the sequence in the prescribed time requirement.
So what do you think? Are you ready to make a commitment to true fitness? Contact us and we'll help you along that route!
These are our house rules. As a member, or potential client, you are fully expected to read and understand these rules. As small business owners we have very limited time to handle things outside of our scope of responsibility of training and management and/or answer the same questions on a regular basis. Without sounding rude or restrictive, we have regulations in place as we grow in order to help make operations and your experience at CFC more streamlined and enjoyable. If you have questions or comments regarding some of these issues, please let us know so we may answer them. Additional information regarding some of these issues can be found in the "Getting Started" page of this website.
VISITS & MEMBERSHIPS
- All new clients MUST partake in the 3 day Fundamentals Class prior to starting with CFC. The course runs M/W/F evenings from 715 PM to 830 PM, the first week of every month. If you can't commit to this, then our program won't work for you. Everything we do at CFC requires a strong foundation of understanding the movements and commitment to the program and coaching. If this habit isn't started in the F Class, then it's a waste of our time.
- The only exception(s) to #1 may be in the case of a client with previous formal CrossFit training through another CrossFit Affiliate Gym or a current CFL1 or CFL2 certified coach. This will be verified by CFC staff by contacting the previous affiliate or the CF Certification staff.
- The costs for the intro class and our monthly rate are non-negotiable. We are a business and as such, we cannot make concessions or give discounts randomly. This is our livelihood and we must make sure our overhead is met. Our rates are not astronomical or unsubstantiated - our training and results speak for themselves. There are other affiliates who are more expensive and others who are much cheaper. If we are not in your price range, you may wish to contact another CrossFit training facility.
- We currently only offer a "Unlimited" package. Our previous membership packages no longer exist.
- We offer an Auto-Pay system for credit or debit cards. We highly recommend clients to use this system as it removes the headaches for all parties in remembering a payment and you will never be late.
- If you choose to pay in cash or check, you MUST be on time with your payment and you must have a CC on file with us as a backup. You have 5 days from your payment due date to submit payment. After that, we will charge a 10% late fee. Failure to pay at all during that month will result in you being excused permanently from our gym.
- If you are paying in cash or check, your payment dates are set on either the 1st or 15th of each month dependent upon which dates work best for you in regards to your personal bills. We have this information in our database. Please do not try to switch up mid-stream to prolong your next payment.
- If you need to split the monthly payment, please contact us and we will set it up for you.
- You may no longer freeze your account for temporary absences, as of January 2012. You are either in or out. We have found the mass majority of account freezes end up being "quits" and it causes us all kinds of billing headaches and more work than we'd like to deal with. You may join back up at a later time, howver, your rate may change if gym rates have gone up during your absence.
- You MUST notify us in writing of membership cancellation 30 days in advance. If you do not adhere to this, we will charge you for the current month. Any fee reversals that are not an error on behalf of CFC will cost $30 to cover the fees from the bank and the merchant processing companies that CFC will be charged.
- If you wish to make a change to your membership status, please notify us prior to the next billing cycle. DO NOT contact us after your payment has gone through. If it is after your billing cycle has been charged, it creates a bookkeeping problem for us and you will be assessed with a $30 fee reversal charge.
- If you wish to bring a friend to a "Free Class" to have them get a taste of our gym and training, we have no issue with that. However, we require prior notification of this so we can approve it dependent upon what programmed training will be for that day. Some programming is very hard to scale for a new person due to movement concerns, technical issues, safety, etc. Please let us know ahead of time and we will let you know if it will work out.
- This rule also applies for potential new clients, Please contact us ahead of time to schedule a drop in. Do not show up expecting to workout without prior approval.
- Saturday morning classes are typically our "Free Class". These workouts are programmed with universal scalability in mind and are more MetCon oriented. We follow a specific strength & conditioning template at CFC that runs in monthly cycles. You should familiarize yourself with it HERE.
- Make sure you know what you are getting into. This is very hard work and there is no hand holding here. We treat our clients as athletes and will coach and motivate them, but not coddle them. We don't like whining, quitting, or big egos. This isn't Curves or Zumba or some other silly stuff. You will lift weights, run, lunge, squat, and do other things that you may never have done before. If you have an injury or cannot do the specific movements that are part of functional life or you are unmotivated and non-committal, then this program and gym will not work for you.
- Crazy Ivan only likes two kids and thankfully they are both his.
- We do not provide daycare for children.
- Kids are welcome in the gym, however, with certain restrictions. If your kid is a complete spaz or distraction, you will be asked to deal with it or leave for the day.
- Children are not allowed on the gym floor during active workout sessions. This is for obvious safety and insurance reasons.
- Kids are not allowed to workout, play on or with gym equipment when they visit the gym.
- Older or responsible kids who can sit quietly by and occupy themselves, may sit out of the way, while their parent(s) work out. In these instances, the child cannot be disruptive to the training process or become a hazard on the floor. If this is the case, you will be asked to leave or find supervision for the child.
- Kids are not to be left unsupervised at CFC at anytime!
TRAINING AT CFC
- Please be on time. This is imperative as class sizes grow and needing to start each group on time becomes a priority. If we are late a few minutes in one class, it carries over to the next and compounds throughout the day.
- If you are going to be late, plan on a later class. If it is going to be a matter of a couple minutes, call or text us.
- If you are late and are going to wait for the next session, feel free to work on any skills that you may need to as long as it doesn't interfere with the current training group.
- Please warm up and get ready for training ASAP upon coming in. Once the workout is over, feel free to hang out and talk and catch up as much as you like.
- If you are working on a personalized strength program, you may do so during normal CrossFit training sessions, just be sure you are not interfering with the training session and your equipment is not needed for the normal class.
- Please listen to the trainers/coaches. We have a valuable skill set and interest in seeing you succeed. As such, if we prescribe something, make recommendations, or provide feedback, please listen and apply it.
- This is also the case when a trainer is talking at the beginning of class. Out of courtesy and respect, please listen and apply the info and skills to your workout.
- Our coaching staff will gladly give you all of our attention and time so long as you do the same. If you have a habit of choosing to be stubborn, not listen and do your own thing, don't expect trainers to put a lot of time into you - take your training and the trainers seriously.
- The daily WOD is the ONLY workout our clients will perform at our gym during regular class hours, unless they are on a specified Olympic Weightlifting or strength training program, or they have the express permission of CFC staff and are experienced enough to need minimal oversight.
- If you are injured or something feels a tad out of whack, we NEED to know this when you walk in the door. We can work around anything and not exacerbate a condition, so long as we know about it. If we don't know about a slight issue and it becomes a full fledged injury that we could have avoided, then we are not responsible. Don't try to work through something, instead let us know about any ailments. Live to fight another day!
- Please do not "dump" barbells/dumbbells for no reason. Injury, large loads overhead, misalignment in positioning, or failure are valid reasons. Dumping bars because you are trying to get a faster time, it's heavy, or that's "what other CrossFit affiliates do" is not a valid reason. Dumping bars will only shorten the lifespan of our equipment and/or slow your physical adaptation process.
- There is no shortage of parking in front of and around CFC. Please be courteous and do not park in the handicap spot and do not take up multiple spots or park like a jackass in the lot.
- If you are coming to class at night and are concerned for your safety when walking out to your car, please do not hesitate to ask for an escort from CFC staff or another member. Your safety is our first concern. We have ways of dealing with cretins...
- Please pick up after yourselves and put garbage where it belongs. We have a recycling container for applicable items. If possible, please do not put drinks with liquid still in them in the recycling container or garbage cans.
- If you have equipment that you would like to bring to CFC and leave there, you are more than welcome to. We will use it with other classes, but you will have priority to use it when needed and will still retain ownership of it. We will take good care of it.
- We have a very small window of "down time" where we need to take care of administrative tasks, run errands, rest, eat, or workout. Please let us use this time for our own needs and wait until we are back to normal operating hours, at which time the facility will be opened back up and available for your use.
- Please feel free to hang out before or after a workout session to talk, stretch, work on skills, or heckle the other classes. However, please be respectful of the trainers as they are addressing or training individuals and do not create a disturbance in the background.
Please feel free to contact CFC staff regarding any of these issues. We are committed to providing the best training and training environment possible to our clients. Your health, happiness, fitness and safety are our primary concerns and we will always strive to meet your goals and make your experience at CFC enjoyable and memorable.
No quality product is ever cheap. If you think a CrossFit gym is like the local globo-gym, think again. Quality CrossFit affiliates run their gyms so that all clients get hands on, personal training in a group setting each time they walk in the door. At CrossFit Centurion, your workouts are planned ahead of time and pre-programmed on a 6 month periodized template, so you don't have to guess at what to do. You will be run through group warm-up sessions, instructed & coached through skills or strength sessions prior to the MetCon workout, where you will receive feedback and correction the entire time, and a post workout stretch session. You are coached, not trained. Our prices are competitive amongst local affiliates and are well worth every penny in what you gain mentally and physicallly.
We currently offer a monthly Unlimited rate, a discounted bulk package, and drop-in rates. We offer a discounted 10% rate for LEO/Public Safety/Teacher/Spouses.
Monthly Membership Rate:
Unlimited Visits- $ 145/Mo.
- Daily rate Breakdown -
$7.25 - $9.06 per visit for Unlimited (20-16 Visit average)
Bulk Package (10% discount)
3 Months- $391
6 Months- $783
12 Months- $1566
Drop-In Rate: (Must have prior approval from CFC Mgmt)
$15 per Visit
$125 – Includes First month of “3x/Week” membership.
Class is scheduled for the 1st week of every month –M/W/F evenings from 715 PM – 830 PM (Unless otherwise indicated).
This class is REQUIRED for all new CrossFit Centurion members who do not have CrossFit experience through a certified CrossFit affiliate gym. Must be completed prior to joining group training sessions at CFC. No Refunds if membership is discontinued after Fundamentals Class!
Refer 2 people who join CFC on a monthly Unlimited membership plan and receive 50% off your next month’s dues!
(In other words, they have to take the F-Class, then sign up as a regular member. You'll get nothing and like it if they walk in, do a couple sessions, bitch & moan, waste our time and then leave because they can't hack it. Just so we're clear....)
- We do not “freeze” accounts. You either have a membership or you do not.
- We do not refund for memberships that didn't get used or partially used. That's stupid. You wouldn't ask any other gym to give you back your money if you missed a month or had some other lame excuse for quitting, so don't ask us either.
- We require a 30 day written notice of membership cancellation prior to your current dues being withdrawn. All reversals of payment will result in a $30 transaction fee to CFC.
- If you cancel your membership and choose to return at a later date, you will be reinstated at whatever the current membership rates are, not your old rate.
All rates are as of May 2013 and are subject to change.