All of the recipes contained herein are Paleo friendly and are gluten, dairy and wheat free in most cases. You may tweak them to your tastes or to avoid allergic reactions to certain foods.
Here is a topping for chicken, but it is excellent over fish and pork as well.
Time: 15 minutes
• 4 oz almonds
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• 2/3 cup chopped celery
• 1 cup chopped onion (I used the pre-chopped onion from Trader Joe's)
• 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
• 5 oz can water chestnuts
• 2 Tbsp Tamari soy sauce (wheat free!)
• sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
• 1/2 cup of chicken broth, or 1/2 cup water + 1 tube of Trader Joe's chicken broth concentrate
Saute the almonds in the olive oil, using a saucepan over medium heat. Once the almonds begin to brown slightly, remove them from the pan and set them aside.
Next, add the onion and celery, then saute until soft. Add the mushrooms, cooking for 3 minutes longer. Return the almonds, then add all of the remaining ingredients. Mix well, cook until hot. Serve over shredded chicken, or other meat of your choice.
Zone info (topping recipe only): 3 servings at 1.5 carb blocks, 19 fat blocks.